Monday 25 April 2011

April 24 (poem 24)

“If you are looking for hope”

There is a woman in France who smears salve in the form of
braided strips of fabric
into the chapped lips of the Parisian streets.
Her name is Juliana Santacruz Herrera.

There is a swan in Germany who has spent eight years
in love with a blue tractor,
trailing it as though he has found his red thread,
as though his heart could speak engine
as well as it speaks grit.

Currently there are more libraries in the United States of America
than McDonalds;
sometimes this is the only statistic I can stomach.
I have easily consumed more books
than burgers in my life.

As for you, Swan,
I too have learned to love things that rumble;
our hearts are not so different,
when it comes right down to it.

Last,
Juliana,
I just want you to know
that the potholed road I call my heart could use
some yarn art
to fill its splits and cracks
with softness.

3 comments:

  1. invite you sharing a free verse with poets rally today.… 9 hours to go before we are closed.

    Hope to see you in!
    Have A Blessed Thursday!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete